b-hebrew - Samaritan Pentateuch

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Tony Costa" <tmcos AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Samaritan Pentateuch
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 17:12:46 GMT

Dear Friends,

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the textual criticism of the Samaritan Pentateuch. I understand that this text is older than the Masoretic Text as well as the Dead Sea Scrolls from Qumran which scholars place between 100 BCE to 100 CE. My understanding of the Samaritan Pentateuch is that it was composed sometime in 300 BCE ot thereafter. Nevertheless, it is assumed that changes have been evident in this text to suit Samaritan theological convictions over Jewish ones. Given the fact that the Samaritan Pentateuch is older than the MT and presumably the LXX , would it be true to say that it contributes highly to the textual criticism of the Hebrew Bible (MT)? Any insights? Many thanks in advance.

Tony Costa