b-hebrew - Need help on a book

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Glenn Cook" <pule67 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "Hebrew List" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Need help on a book
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 10:05:27 -0600

Tuesday, September 19, 2000

Dear Mr. Bartholomew

You have a lot of knowledge about book and have been helpful in the bast, so
I am taking advantage of that and bothering you again.

I have my great-grandfather's library and some of the books came from his
father's library.

One of them interest me very much, as I need to decide what to do with it.
It was given to my great-grandfather by his father. It was originally bound
in leather, but is starting to come apart.

I showed it to a colleague that was professor of Art at a school I taught
at. That has been some years back. 20 or more years at least. He said he did
not know about the book, but many of the woodcuts in it were valuable and if
it was him, he would finish taking it apart for the woodcuts. It does have
many beautiful illustrations.

It is about 8 x 11 x about 6 inches thick and has such a long title I should
copy the title page and send it to you. But here is most of it:

The comprehensive

Critical and Explanatory

Bible Encyclopedia

Containing a complete

Definition and exploration of all Religious terms

Including

Bible Antiquities, Biography, Geography

and

Natural History

An Illustrated History

of the

Words and Works of Jesus

edited by

Edward Robinson, D.D., L.L.D.

author of

"Biblical Researches in Palestine", "Greek and English Lexicon of the New
Testament", "The Hebrew Lexicon, Harmony of the Gospels" in Greek and
English, "Historical and Critical Dictionary of the Bible". Etc.

Printed in Toledo, Ohio 1881 by H.W. Snow and Company

The section on the words and works of Jesus has many beautiful woodcuts and
there are many woodcuts throughout the book.

What I am trying to find out is: Is it a book that has interest to anyone?
Is it of any importance?

  • Need help on a book, Glenn Cook, 09/19/2000