b-hebrew - Re: Lemarbe

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin W. Woodruff" <cierpke AT prodigy.net>
  • To: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Lemarbe
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 17:31:19 -0400

Dave:

It's not a typo. The Talmud (Sanhedrin 95a) says that the mem was closed
when God decided to make Hezekiah the Messiah and then changed his mind when
Hezekiah did not prove worthy. Other suggest some type of mark that
something has dropped out of the text

Kevin

At 06:50 AM 9/17/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Stephen,

>> >What edition are you looking at? In my BHS, 9:7 doesn't have a
>> >mem anywhere.
>>
>> Look at the first word of Is 9:6. This is one of the places where the
>> versification differs between the Hebrew bible and its English version.
>

>Ah, OK. It looks like a typo to me, but perhaps someone with
>access to the facsimile edition of the Leningrad Codex can
>enlighten us as to whether it's in the ms or not.
>Dave Washburn
>http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
>"Éist le glór Dé."
>
>---
>You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: cierpke AT prodigy.net
>To unsubscribe, forward this message to
$subst('Email.Unsub')
>To subscribe, send an email to join-b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu.

Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
Library Director/Reference Librarian
Professor of New Testament Greek
Cierpke Memorial Library
1815 Union Ave.
Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
United States of America
423/493-4252 (office)
423/698-9447 (home)
423/493-4497 (FAX)
Cierpke AT prodigy.net (preferred)
kwoodruf AT utkux.utcc.utk.edu (alternate)
http://pages.prodigy.net/cierpke/woodruff.htm