b-hebrew - Re: VSO in narrative

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: VSO in narrative
  • Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 00:41:56 -0300

Liz, let me teach you a little of the translation theory which I have
recently been teaching to new SIL colleagues. In general, in translating
from one language to another, it is simply not possible always to translate
nouns with nouns and verbs with verbs. Languages differ dramatically in how
far they use nouns for intrinsically verbal ideas, i.e. "abstract nouns",
and verbs for ideas.

In this case Prof. Niccacci has made a perfectly proper translation
adjustment in changing the two nouns of his understanding of the Hebrew into
two verbs in English: "When God began to create heaven and earth". He could
have kept the nouns by writing "At the beginning of God's creation of heaven
and earth", which is synonymous if "creation" is understood in the verbal
sense "activity of creation" rather than in the passive sense "created
things". But these two translations do not have a different sense just
because they use different parts of speech.

But, to me, "At the beginning of a God-created universe" has a different
meaning as it links the beginning with the created things rather than the
divine activity.

Peter Kirk