b-hebrew - VSO in narrative

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Alviero Niccacci" <sbfnet AT netvision.net.il>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: VSO in narrative
  • Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 12:37:27 -0400

You have argued that bara) must be treated as a noun but this translation
doesn't do it for me. This translation is no different (for me) from
the one you excluded.
Perhaps you mean "In (or At) the beginning of *a* God-created universe...."

i.e. When God began to
> create heaven and earth [sentence 1],
All your excellen arguments above contradict this
translation to my way of thinking. You have now
made "beginning" a finite verb. A translation is needed in which both
"beginning" and "create" are nouns.

the earth was chaos and
> void [sentence 2],
I don't agree with this translation at all.
Jeremiah refers (somewhere) to the midbar being tohu and bohu.
It simply means devoid of life.

darkness was on the surface of the abyss
Not an abyss, just ocean, tehom.

> [sentence 3], and the Spirit of God was hovering over the surface
> of the water [sentence 4]. Then God said [sentence 5] etc."

I don't see these as separate sentences.
They are all clauses dependent on verse 1.

> Sentences 2-4 are coordinated one to the other; they are
> main with regard to sentence 1, which depends on them. Taken
> together, sentences 1-4 constitute a syntactic unit that depends
> on sentence 5, which contains narrative wayyiqtol, "Then God
> said." This wayyiqtol begins the mainline of the narrative. What
> precedes gives the setting of the story.

Yes, these all present the setting of the story *prior* to
God's first action.

> Semantically, Gen 1:1-2 means that when God created the
> universe (this is the meaning of "heaven and earth"), He
> proceeded step by step.
Yes, but as you yourself have said, the first step is not taken until
he speaks. Everything else is setting.

He first created a raw reality (if I can
> put it this way), then He adorned it in its various parts. There
> are of course similarities with the ANE creation stories, not the
> least in the opening sentence: "When God began to create . . ." A
But see, you are translating "reshit" as if it were a verb.
I see you do this in order to have creatio ex nihilo.
But that is not in the text, as you have shown.
HOw about "At the beginning of God's creating the universe, it was barren
etc."?

> major difference is that the *creatio ex nihilo* seems to me
> clearly indicated in the Biblical text--the creation was first
> chaotic, then God ornamented it in different steps.
This is not Rashi's interpretation.
You quote him and Eban Ezra so willingly above, then you disagree
with their conclusions.

Lengthy
> discussions on the *creatio ex nihilo* weere conducted mainly on
> a philosophical basis by both Jewish and Christian scholars, esp.
> in Medieval times. See, e.g., S. Kamin in _Scripta
> Hierosolymitana_ 31 (1986) 91-132.
Yes, on the basis of Greek philosophy.
Best,
Liz