b-hebrew - Re: Genesis

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: barre AT freedsl.com
  • To: hholmyard AT ont.com,biblical hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Genesis
  • Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 00:12:45 -0700

My reading in this genre of OT studies has suggested that the whole
project
has been more or a blight on OT studies than a blessing. It consumes
time
in theoretical constructions, over-complicates OT studies, results in
disagreement among scholars as to what is in J,E,D, P, and perhaps
other
documents, and takes people away from the profound implications of
the text
itself.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

Dear Harold,

Source criticism (I prefer Composition criticism), is simply on of
several exegetical methods. The difficuties arise not from the
method but from the literature itself. I trust all can see that the
Pentateuch is compositionally complex.

Can you speak to the question of the composition of the Pentateuch?
How do you think it came to be written?

LMB

L.M. Barre, Ph.D.
Angelfire.com/ca2/AncientIsrael