b-hebrew - Re: Linguistic Origins of Hebrew: 1800 BCE?!

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Henry Churchyard" <churchh AT usa.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Linguistic Origins of Hebrew: 1800 BCE?!
  • Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 14:01:57 -0500 (CDT)

> From: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
> Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 20:13:47 +0200

>> Hebrew (1800 BC - present)

> this seems a bit of a joke, Brian. If Garbini can claim that the
> so-called Gezer calendar was written in a southern dialect of
> Phoenician while other scholars say that it was written in some sort
> of Hebrew, the distinction between Phoenician and Hebrew in the
> ninth century (memory) was so small that one cannot imagine the
> existence of a Hebrew in 1800 BCE. We have difficulties dating
> Hebrew before the ninth century BCE.

Of course a "pre-Hebrew" (the lineal ancestor of later attested
Biblical Hebrew) existed in 1800 BC. Whether this pre-Hebrew of 1800
B.C. was what linguists would call a separate language, or was an
only slightly-distinct dialect, or whether in 1800 B.C. there was no
speech community existing at all which spoke a variety of speech that
was the lineal ancestor of later-attested Hebrew and that was not
also the lineal ancestor of the languages closely related to Hebrew
(the most closely-related languages seem to have been Ammonite, etc.,
not including Phoenician, by the way) -- this is a very interesting
question (and _not_ a laughable question), but it's a question to
which it's basically impossible to give a decisive and complete
answer based on the available evidence. Garbini (the man whose
notably ineffectual attempts to explain away the Hebrew/Aramaic
consonant _s'in_ do not necessarily give me an overwhelming
confidence in the correctness of results he has arrived at in other
areas) must have been working with consonant-orthography-only texts
when examining the distinctness of ninth century B.C. Hebrew and
Phoenician, and such unpointed texts can cover quite a multitude of
linguistic differences (especially in the old Phoenician orthography,
in which long vowels were very rarely written with a _mater lectionis_
unless they had actually developed from a vowel + consonant
combination, including w and y among the consonants). I stand by

--
Henry Churchyard churchh AT usa.net http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/