b-hebrew - RE: Conclusive evidence and archaeology

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bill Ross" <wross AT farmerstel.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Conclusive evidence and archaeology
  • Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 10:29:10 -0500

<Jack>
> theres no such thing as conclusive evidence when we are talking about
> documents over 2 millenia old.

<Liz>
People can conclude from the evidence, if they are willing to look at it.

<Bill>
"Conclude" implies an end. The problem with "conclusions" is that they tend
to be replaced by new "evidence" the next year, when new information is
unearthed. Liz, I can't believe that you are defending the authority of such
flimsy "evidence" as "conclusive"!

<Liz>
Friedman's book, while being *very* outdated, gives an excellent
introduction to the documentary hypothesis...I heartily recommend it, even
tho I don't agree with him any more.

<Bill>
Last year's "conclusive evidence"?

Bill Ross

  • RE: Conclusive evidence and archaeology, Bill Ross, 09/03/2000