b-hebrew - Documentary Hypothesis

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Jim West" <jwest AT highland.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Documentary Hypothesis
  • Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 10:46:58 -0400

Dear Jim, et. al.,
By the Documentary Hypothesis I didn't mean to include the whole kit
and kaboodle worked out by Wellhausen. I don't agree with that either.
As it was originally phrased by J Sasser (that there are separate writers
of the torah whom we can label J, (E?), D, P, and H, and there may be
others),
does not seem controversial to me. It's simply stating that the numerous
contradictions are best explained by separate authors rather than by
a single author who is having a fit of amnesia.

Liz

  • Documentary Hypothesis, Liz Fried, 09/03/2000