b-hebrew - Re: Gen 1:1 "At first"?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Bill Ross" <wross AT farmerstel.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 1:1 "At first"?
  • Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 00:01:00 +0100

Interesting, though perhaps getting a bit far from the Hebrew. But each of
these cases could well also be echoing Gen 1:1 LXX, especially if the
beginning of the Christian gospel is being viewed as the beginning of a new
creation, as in 2 Corinthians 5:17. Sorry to get into Christian doctrine,
but here it is relevant because it shows that these EN ARCH instances are
not necessarily typical of Koine Greek as a whole. So, can anyone check for
occurrences of EN ARCH in secular Hellenistic Greek? If indeed it is a
common idiom, that weakens the argument that the LXX translator understood
the Hebrew BERE'SHIYT as BE- + no article + noun in the absolute, i.e. "in a
beginning". If the phrase is only found in echoes of the LXX, that
strengthens the argument.

Of course to say that the translator understood the Hebrew in this way is
not to suggest that he was thinking of this beginning as one of a series of
beginnings. I don't see any hint of that type of thinking in the Hebrew
Bible. Rather it looks to me like a rather crude attempt to reconcile the
Bible with modern science.

Peter Kirk