b-hebrew - RE: Gen 1:1 "At first"?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Gen 1:1 "At first"?
  • Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 18:01:36 -0400

I don't think this is a necessary conclusion. One would have to
consult Josephus or Philo or something. The LXX is a translation
from the Hebrew or Aramaic. As someone rightly pointed out on this
list, the construct in Hebrew & Aramaic does not take an article.
I.e., the man of god is ish ha elohim, not ha ish ha elohim, which
would be the divine man. The LXX is a strict translation of the Hebrew,
and so follows it's syntax and leaves out the article.
I've noted many NT authors also follow
Hebrew syntax. I think they want to sound "biblical." You find in
the NT Hebrew word order, VSO, rather than the normal Greek,
SOV. Yet, you wouldn't assume that Koine Greek is VSO.
Also you have in the NT a totally artificial construction derived from the
LXX
which translates the vayehi of the Hebrew.
The LXX witnesses to the Hebrew it translates, not to Koine Greek.
You might say the same of the NT.

Best,
Liz