b-hebrew - RE: Gen 1:1. Kermess

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Gen 1:1. Kermess
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 16:19:49 -0400

According to my Greek teacher, it is highly unusual not to have the Greek
article
he there. It should be EN H ARXH.
They wouldn't have left the article out unless they were translating
directly from
the Hebrew, even though the Hebrew was unpointed at the time.

There is also evidence in the Samaritan
> tradition for an original qamets pointing, from how I understand
> the note in
> BHS.
However, deficilior lectus, or however that goes, i.e., the more difficult
case is to
be preferred. There is witness from the LXX, the MT, and the NT for the
absence of the
article.

> > Quoting Rashi again, he argues that every case where you have
> breshit, or
> > betehillat, it is in the construct. Jer. 26:1; Gen 10:10; Deut. 18:4;
> > Hos.1:2, but
> > he states that bara must be read brw(.
>
> PK: But he doesn't give any evidence for this latter point. Is he claiming
> that brw( is correct on textual grounds or making a correction
> based on his
> grammatical arguments?
Rashi's emmendation from bara) to baro) is only a change in pointing.
He makes this change because every other instance of reshit, or tehillat, is
followed by
either a noun or a verb in the infinite absolute.

As I and others have argued, his grammatical
> arguments are weak in the light of modern understandings. I am prepared to
> accept Rashi as a great scholar but not as an infallible authority.
How then would you translate the four verses listed above, especially the
last???
Best,
Liz