b-hebrew - SV: Elohim -- human or divine in Psalm 82?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Annika Stacke <annika.stacke AT swipnet.se>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, "'George Athas'" <gathas AT globalfreeway.com.au>
  • Subject: SV: Elohim -- human or divine in Psalm 82?
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 10:26:30 +0200

Oh, what a coincidence! Just a few hours before this mail arrived I happened
to read the article by Simon B. Parker: "The Beginning of the Reign of God -
Psalm 82 as Myth and Liturgy", Revue Bible 102 (1995), pp 532-559. Parker
has, among other things, a very good general exposition on the mythological
assumption that each nation had its own god, or that each god had a nation to
which it had been allotted.

Parker has two interesting points concerning Ps 82: First, YHWH is not the
one presiding the assembly of gods; it is El or Elyon. It is, however, YHWH
who charges the other gods with maladministration and annonces their
downfall, and after that he takes over and exercises a righteous rule over
the world.

Secondly, the narrative section of the psalm (vv 1-7), reflecting a Canaanite
origine, "explains" in the form of the myth the unrighteousness in the world.
Nevertheless, YHWH has predicted the downfall of the gods, though this is not
yet realized. Therefore, in vers 8, the Israelite community prays in the form
of a liturgical cry to YHWH to exercise his rule over the world. In this
sense, this psalm is properly Israelite, and quite compatible with the strict
monotheistic teaching of Second Isaiah.

Annika