b-hebrew - Re: the twenty-four hour day

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <brocine AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: the twenty-four hour day
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 22:39:54 -0400

B-Haverim,

Wouldn't Exo 20:10-11 et al on the Sabbath day (i.e. the
Lord made the heaven and earth in six days and rested on the
seventh, so you shou;ld also sanctify the seventh day and
rest in it) weigh as evidence that the ancients viewed the
creation as taking place in six *regular* days?

Isn't the *only* reason we might think of the six creation
days as longer than regular days because we think it would
be impossible for the Lord to make the heavens, earth, etc.
in only six regular days? I can't believe the ancient
Scripture-people would have any problem believing the
All-powerful could bring such a vast chaos as is in Gen 1:1
into order in such a short time.

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine