b-hebrew - Re: WEQATAL vs. QATAL statistics: a question and a doubt

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: WEQATAL vs. QATAL statistics: a question and a doubt
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 12:58:49 +0100

Dear Rolf,

Over the last few weeks I have been following with interest, but not always
in great detail, your exchanges with Henry. As you invite me to, I have
reached my own conclusions, that there is a clear distinction in temporal
usage between QATAL and WEQATAL. I think you now agree. If list members
disagree about whether this distinction is one of meaning or semantics, they
are now differing more over the meaning or semantics of the terms "meaning"
and "semantics" within their presupposed theoretical models.

I have a question. You state that this set of data "means that neither tense
nor aspect is grammaticalized in Hebrew." Please can you explain? Henry's
analysis shows that your data is consistent, to a 90% level or better and
with a very high level of statistical confidence, with the hypothesis that
QATAL is a past tense and WEQATAL is a non-past tense, at least if modality
is included as "non-past". On what basis do you reject this hypothesis? Is
it that the fit is not 100% or 99%? We would of course not expect a 100% fit
because of the way in which you have chosen the time category for each verb
form (see below), and because of the possibility of textual corruption. Of
course, if there are 10% of cases which do not fit, these need to be
explained, perhaps by some kind of refinement of the hypothesis. Or is there
some deeper theoretical reason why you understand these data as disproving
the grammaticalisation of tense in Hebrew?

Also, I have a doubt about your methodology. On what basis did you conclude
that particular examples of QATAL or WEQATAL were past, present or future
etc? If I remember rightly you were basing this largely on established
translations. Did you follow one particular translation consistently, or did
you use your own judgment in certain cases? If the latter, was your judgment
independent of your own theoretical model of the Hebrew verb system? I ask
because some circularity could have crept in here. Translators, of course,
translate according to the verb forms they see. If they translate from the
Masoretic text, and they have learned that QATAL is mostly past and WEQATAL
is mostly future, of course they will translate most QATALs as past and most
WEQATALs as future, except where the context demands something different.

So can I suggest a further test. A main plank of your argument, Rolf, seems
to be that the verb forms of the Masoretic text are not an accurate
reflection of the Hebrew verb system as it was in ancient times e.g. the
final centuries BCE. So I would suggest that you look at the verb forms not
in a modern translation into a Western language but in an ancient
translation into a language whose verb system is well known. I would suggest
the LXX, though the Vulgate or the Syriac might be interesting alternatives.
I think it would be very instructive to make a table of correspondences
between verb forms in MT and in LXX, and then put them into the type of
statistical grid which Henry has used. This may seem an arduous task, but it
could be made easy by a clever computer program working with the existing
Westminster etc morphological analyses of MT and LXX. Note that such a
program would work with morphological forms only (though I accept that there
are ambiguous cases where the verb form has been decided from the context)
and so would not depend on any semantic or syntactic theory.

You could then test such hypotheses as that THE LXX TRANSLATORS UNDERSTOOD
(from their unpointed Vorlage and their knowledge of traditional
vocalisation) QATAL and WAYYIQTOL as (mostly) past and YIQTOL and WEQATAL as
(mostly) non-past. If these hypotheses were confirmed, at the 90% level or
even perhaps at a much lower level, it would disprove any suggestions that
these distinctions were introduced by the Masoretes, or by the chanting
tradition in the centuries following the fall of Jerusalem. On the other
hand, if these latter suggestions were true, I would expect to see a pattern
of LXX to MT verb form correspondences very different from the hypotheses I
have put forward.

Peter Kirk