b-hebrew - Re: Parsha question - Deut 8:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jane Harper <jharper AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Parsha question - Deut 8:8
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 12:22:34 -0700

Raymond de Hoop wrote:

> The pashta (8a) and the tiphcha (twice, 8b and 8c) are accents of a higher
> grade, whose distinctive force is not as strong as the zaqeph qaton, atnach
> and silluq.

This gives me a chance to ask a question that my Hebrew teachers were
unable to answer. I first learned these "accent" marks as ta'amim,
cantillation markers. Does anybody know how they went from being
melodic notation to being considered accent marks and phrase breaks?

Jane Harper

--
Life is a glorious cycle of song; a medley of extemporania.
Love is a thing that can never go wrong, And I am the Queen of Romania.