b-hebrew - Parsha question - Deut 8:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Al Silberman <alfred.silberman AT lmco.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Parsha question - Deut 8:8
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 07:55:47 -0400

Can someone provide insight into why the accents break up this verse
into:

A land of wheat - and barley; vines, fig trees and pomegrantes. A land
of oil olives - and honey. I.E. there is a servant accent on the first
"land", no accent on the second "land" but tied to the next word by a
maqaf.

Instead of:
A land of - wheat and barley; vines, fig trees and pomegrantes. A land
of - oil olives and honey. I.E. pashta (disjunctive accent) on the first
"land" with wheat and barley tied together; tipexa (disjunctive accent)
on the second "land" with oil olives and honey tied together.

Thank you,
Al Silberman