b-hebrew - Re: holem-vav and absence of

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Henry Churchyard" <churchh AT usa.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: holem-vav and absence of
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:47:11 -0500 (CDT)

> Subject: holem-vav and absence of
> From: Jay Childs <jchildsjr AT mmcable.com>
> Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 22:03:27 -0500

> Has anyone looked at the presence or absence of the holem-vav as an
> indicator of the origin or age of a portion of text?

For extended discussion of the patterns of inclusion and omission of
the _matres_ letters (of course the waw was there a long time before
the h.olem was added) -- with statistical analyses -- see the
following books:

Francis I. Andersen and A. Dean Forbes. (1986), _Spelling in the
Hebrew Bible (Dahood Memorial Lecture, Biblica et Orientalia 41)_.
Rome: Biblical Institute Press.

David Noel Freedman, A. Dean Forbes, and Francis Andersen eds. (1992)
_Studies in Hebrew and Aramaic Orthography (Biblical and Judaic
Studies from the University of California, San Diego, 2)_. Winona
Lake, Indiana: Eisenbrauns.

--
Henry Churchyard churchh AT usa.net http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/