b-hebrew - Re: Translating Elohim

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Henry Churchyard" <churchh AT usa.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Translating Elohim
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:42:23 -0500 (CDT)

> Subject: Translating Elohim
> From: lmbarre AT earthlink.net
> Date: 29 Jun 2000 01:54:46 -0800

> The most common Hebrew word for a deity is 'elohim whose various
> connotations are difficult to render in English translation.
> 'elohim is a plural noun that is regularly used as the subject of
> singular verbs. Its singular form is 'el.

Actually, the singular of _'elohim_ is _'eloah_ ('aleph, h.at.eph-
s@ghol, lamedh, h.olem-waw, pathah.-furtivum, he-mappiq), while the
plural of _'el_ is _'elim_ ('aleph, lamedh, h.iriq-yodh, mem).

> to account for the anomaly, I would suggest that the plural form
> 'elohim is actually an elision or contraction of the formulaic
> phrase, 'el 'elohim

Since there's not much specific evidence for this, it remains pretty
much just a hypothetical speculation on your part -- and even if this
were true, you would still have to provide further specific evidence
for a "construct state" relation between the parts of _'el 'elohim_,
as opposed to an appositional reading. Anyway, even under the
construct-state interpretation, if _'el 'elohim_ has a meaning
analogous to "Shahanshah", or "Song of songs", etc., then this already
seems to imply a more clearly henotheistic state of affairs than the
Greeks, Romans, or Akkadians ever arrived at in their mythologies...

> The historical meaning of the word is almost completely obscured by
> Bible translations who incorrectly and unconsciously ascribe to it a
> monotheistic meaning by consistently translating it as "God."

In the text as it has been handed down to us it has been given a
monotheistic meaning, so that translating _'elohim_ in a
non-monotheistic way would be indulging in hypothetical speculative
historical reconstructions, rather than translating the text as we
find it. Did you see my previous posting? --

--
Henry Churchyard churchh AT usa.net http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/

  • Re: Translating Elohim, Henry Churchyard, 07/17/2000