b-hebrew - Re: vayyiqtol, assumption-rolf

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: vayyiqtol, assumption-rolf
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 23:30:39 +0100

Thank you, Rolf. Well, if semantic meaning is defined as that which is
uncancellable, at least I can accept the first part of Grice's principle,
that "semantic meanings may not be canceled without contradiction..." I have
to; it is no longer either an assertion or a definition, it is a tautology.
I will leave Randall to answer for himself as to what he makes of this.

Peter Kirk