b-hebrew - Re: vayyiqtol, assumption-rolf

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: vayyiqtol, assumption-rolf
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 23:19:42 +0100

If this clause was found in an actual English text (and I can quite believe
that it was), it is an example of English as it is actually used. Who are
you to say that this is "bad" English? If anything is "bad" English, it is
your "having crossed the floor...", on the basis that I cannot conceive of
such a phrase actually being used by a contemporary native English speaker
except in an interlinear gloss of Greek or Latin. The grammar of a language
is not what some classically educated snobs try to say it ought to be, it is
what is found in actual usage. If we can't allow English to be what English
actually is, what hope do we have of finding out what Hebrew is?

Peter Kirk