b-hebrew - RE: Psalm 20:3 "make fat your burnt sacrifices"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bill Ross" <wross AT farmerstel.com>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Psalm 20:3 "make fat your burnt sacrifices"
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 08:26:50 -0500

><Jim>
>...though <heb> dashan </heb> does indeed mean to "grow fat", in this
>context it is a technical term for acceptable or favorable.

<Bill>
Thanks for your responses.

I dug a little more on this and the general connotation of "fat" seems to be
"prosperous".

But it still seems unclear to me exactly what is being said.

For example, in Ps 23:5, is David saying:

* you put oil on my head - thus making me prosperous
* you put oil on my head - thus designating me king
* you have made me so prosperous that I've got costly oil on my head
* you have made me so prosperous that my head (and thus all of me) is
filling out nicely
* none of the above
* all of the above

And in Psalm 20:3, is it:

* may the Lord make you so rich that you always offer fat sheep
* may the Lord regard your offerings as if they were super-fat sheep
* may you be so rich that you have a flock of fat sheep to offer
* none of the above
* all of the above

Bill Ross