b-hebrew - Re: Jericho's Anomalies (cut)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Jericho's Anomalies (cut)
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 21:17:20 +0200

At 06.01 03/06/00 +0200, you wrote:
>Ian H. wrote, re. Ai
>

>> This does not reflect the analyses of the vast majority of archaeologists.
>> There is no "switch" going on, except by those who don't like the fact that
>> Ai has been identified as a site which doesn't fit late literature
>
>What a marvelous combination of illogical statements!

It would have been nice, John, had you shown that you'd read the rest of
the post. There was a plain citation from Amihai Mazar which makes the
location clear, related to Bethel. Illogical!? We have indications from
late texts such as Joshua that help to locate the place. Did Ai move??

>Archaeologists identify "biblical" Ai as et-Tell based on
>"late literature" (i.e. the fact that et-Tell means roughly
>the same as ha`ay), but when that same "late literature" is
>cited to show the incompatibility of et-Tell and Ai in
>Joshua, you say that the objection is invalid because it's
>based on "late literature."

The main argument is based on geography.

>Are suggesting that the
>identification of Ai with et-Tell is based on early
>literature?
>
>> It's a shame your source cannot be dated before the second century BCE --
>
>Which is more than 2000 years before your sources for Ai =
>et-Tell and Bethel = Beitin.

Please, be explicit, John, how would you locate Ai??

>Sorry, life's too short to deal with the rest of your post.

I can understand, John. The effort of thinking about things is too great.

>Just more of the same.

Thinks that you can't deal with.

Ian