b-hebrew - Re: Hello

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kirk Lowery" <kelowery AT cs.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Hello
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 06:56:49 -0400

On 31 May 2000, at 19:01, Don Myers wrote:

> Is there a digets version of the Biblical Hebrew List? It is easier for me
> to follow the threads so I don't double answer something that someone else
> has replied to.

Yes, use the web interface to the forum:

<http://franklin.oit.unc.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=b-hebrew&text_mode=0>

For the login use your email address at which you receive B-Hebrew postings.
The first time, you may not know your password. There is a place to put your
email address and the conferencing software, Lyris, will send you an email
message with your password. That takes about ten minutes, depending on where
in
the world you are.

Then you can return, login, and you will be presented with a set of settings
you can change, including your password, email address and how you want Lyris
to send you forum postings.

The disadvantage of using the digest is that you will need to manually reset
both the address and the subject of your message. If you only post
occasionally, this is no inconvenience. If you are an active participant,
this
becomes a hassle.

And a reminder to everyone: if you simply use the "Reply" button of your
email
client, the message will return ONLY to the individual who sent it. You must
either use the "Reply All" feature or manually reset the address. This
explains
why sometimes you don't get a response to a posting, except perhaps for the
individual you are responding to.

And, as long as I'm on the subject, a note about how forums like ours works.
It's very behavioral: stimulus-response! If the subjects being discussed
aren't
to your liking, or are not scratching where you itch, then simply post a
message on that subject yourself! A simple, well-formed question will often
generate a good discussion. The nature of email and electronic forums allow
for
a multipicity of discussions going on all at the same time. You don't have to
be "polite" and wait until a particular thread is finished. Think of it like
being at a large party, and having the ability to hear and participate in any
or all the discussions going on!

The key is participation. Sometimes we have complaints about the "dominance"
of
a particular subject. But that is the wrong word to describe what's going on.
Rather, those interested in a topic AND willing to post messages about that
topic are more numerous than those interested in another subject.

So, other than our broad forum topic, there is no control, and no way to
control the actual discussion going on. Are the conversations going on
presently not suit you? Fine! Jump in and make a difference!

Blessings,

Kirk
Kirk E. Lowery, Ph.D. Email: KELowery AT cs.edu
Associate Director Phone: 215-572-3854
The Westminster Hebrew Institute Fax: 215-887-5404
Westminster Theological Seminary
P.O. Box 27,009
Philadelphia, PA 19118

  • Hello, Don Myers, 05/31/2000