b-hebrew - Isaiah 7:14 in the Peshitta

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "William L. Pratt" <prattw AT nevada.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Isaiah 7:14 in the Peshitta
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 11:25:25

Lamsa, in the introduction to his English translation of the Peshitta,
specifies that in Isaiah 7:14, HF(AL:MFH of the Hebrew text is replaced by
the Aramaic _betholta_. This suggests the recognition by the original 3rd
Century Xtian translator that (AL:MFH did not then necessarily imply
virginity.

I am trying to follow this up and need to see the Aramaic of Isaiah 7:14 in
the Peshitta. I personally have an English translation, but have the
Aramaic text only for the New Testament. I posted a request on the
b-aramaic list, and received a post from the moderator arguing against this
interpretation, but not a transliteration of the verse.

Is there someone on this list who has access to the Peshitta Old Testament
in Aramaic, who could post a transliteration of this verse?

Thanks,

Will

Will Pratt,
prattw AT nevada.edu

  • Isaiah 7:14 in the Peshitta, William L. Pratt, 05/22/2000