b-hebrew - Shema & Alfebeth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Karl Ivan Baca <bacai AT usa.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Shema & Alfebeth
  • Date: 20 May 00 10:05:48 EDT

>>>In BHS Deut 6:4 in the printed text one sees large letters. Why are the
large letters there? Kelly, Mynatt and Crawford in _The Masorah of Biblia
Hebraica Stuttgartensia_ p. 36 suggests "the letter shows that the reading
must be precise. This is probably the function of the large letters in Deut.
6:4." Do you agree? If not, what other possible reasons could there be?<<<<

Once in my shul I was to do a devar Torah and I notice this problem. The Ayim
is enlarged and the Dalef is too at the end. Why? Well I found a midrash which
could be the reason behind. IT was to point out that to mark the real meaning,
not to take the shema lightly. (I do not remember well how it goes), but it
had to do that this is serious stuff. If miss read it will not sound so
powerful.

There is an explanation, so look it up.