b-hebrew - Re: musical instruments

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Raymond de Hoop <rdehoop AT tref.nl>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: musical instruments
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 10:59:46 +0200

Shalom,

Try the following:

Joachim Braun, Die Musikkultur Altisraels/Palästinas: Studien zu
archäologischen, schriftlichen und vergleichenden Quellen (OBO, 164)
Freiburg 1999. XII-372 pp., 288 illsutrations. ISBN 3-7278-1246-X.
(An abstract can be found at http://www.unifr.ch/bif/obo/obonew.html).

Further, see also:

I.H. Jones, "Music and Musical Instruments", ABD, vol. 4, pp. 934-939 (with
additional bibliography).

Finally, a few years ago there was another book, which appeared at Peter
Lang (publ.), Bern; but somehow I missed the author. The titel was also
something like: Music in ancient Israel.

I hope this helps.

Raymond

> Shalom to all! I am forwarding a question which was posted on
>another list: Does anyone have or know where to find information on the
>musical
>instruments mentioned in Tanach (Pictures, actual shapes, sizes, sounds,
>current whereabouts, specific uses, etc.) ? Thank you. Kol Tuv, Baruch
>Alster Kochav Ya`akov, Israel

Dr Raymond de Hoop
Boeiersingel 11
9745 CA Groningen