b-hebrew - Re: Tiqune Sofrim

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Tiqune Sofrim
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 14:02:51 +0100

Presumably this theory could be tested by looking at DSS. Do the DSS
generally follow the corrected (by tiqqune soferim) or uncorrected texts at
these points?

According to Tov, there are only from 7 to 18 of these corrections mentioned
in ancient sources. He seems to suggest that all known texts are the same as
MT, at least at most of these places. Is that correct? These corrections
must be distinguished from theological corrections which have been alleged
by modern scholars (sometimes with textual evidence) but not mentioned by
the Masoretes.

Peter Kirk