b-hebrew - 1 Samuel 10:27-11:1 additional text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew list" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: 1 Samuel 10:27-11:1 additional text
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 13:31:12 +0100

In one Qumran MS there is an additional passage following 1 Samuel 10:27,
describing how Nahash king of the Ammonites oppressed the Transjordan
Israelites and gouged out their right eyes. Although there are no other
ancient witnesses to this passage apart from an alleged parallel in
Josephus, the Anchor commentary argues that this passage is original, and it
has been included in the main text of NRSV. But I don't find the Anchor
arguments convincing.

Does anyone know of any further literature on this passage, particularly in
response to the Anchor commentary?

Can anyone give me further information on the Qumran MS in question,
4QSam(a)? How extensive is this MS? How does it compare with MT and LXX in
other places? Are there any other additional passages?

Peter Kirk