b-hebrew - Re: Sexuality in the HB!!

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Eric Weiss" <eweiss AT gte.net>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Re: Sexuality in the HB!!
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 9:16:43

I was recently made the recipient of Zondervan's NEW INTERNATIONAL
DICTIONARY OF OLD TESTAMENT THEOLOGY AND EXEGESIS. The 5th volume is
basically a volume of topical/theological discussions, and there is an
essay/article on "Sex(uality)" (the articles are in alphabetical order by
topic) which addresses this issue, including mentioning that "uncover one's
nakedness" as meaning "have sexual relations."

I have no idea if it's of scholarly value, but I have a hard-to-find book
called EROTICA JUDAICA: A Sexual History of the Jews, by Allen Edwardes,
The Julian Press, Inc. (1967). Edwardes finds or purports to find many
sexual references in the Hebrew Bible that are obscured by translation.