b-hebrew - RE: WHICH LEXICON???

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John B Childs Jr <jchildsjr AT mmcable.com>
  • To: 'Michael Hildenbrand' <hildenbr AT Haas.Berkeley.EDU>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: WHICH LEXICON???
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 00:53:28 -0600

Achim,

This discussion only highlights the value of learning Modern Israeli
Hebrew, thereby becoming familiar with 'Ivrit as a "lashon rechovit"
as well "HaLashon HaQodesh." I'm not trying to brag, but only giving
thanks that eight out of my ten Hebrew teachers have been Israelis who have
given me a wonderfully broad, as well as deep, understanding of their
precious language. I would encourage everyone who is able to do at least
one summer ulpan in Israel so that all of your "qatals" and "yiqtols" may
become real past and future verb tenses again. This is to say nothing of
your "present" relationship with the hebrew active participles.

I, for one, could not consider my vocabulary work complete if I did not go
"beyond BDB" to at least Alcalay and maybe even Even-Shoshan.

Peace!

Jay

When I studied with Jacob Milgrom, one of the questions he would ask us is
"why did you translate that word that way?" If the student said "because
that was what the dictionary said," he would answer "how do you know that
the dictionary is right?"

Michael Hildenbrand