b-hebrew - Re: WHICH LEXICON???

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin W. Woodruff" <cierpke AT prodigy.net>
  • To: "Tony Starks" <data7201 AT aol.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: WHICH LEXICON???
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 17:30:53 -0500

Tony:

KB3 is good but pricy at 5 volumes at $125.00/volume for a total of over
$625.00. BDB is old but affordable at under $25.00. I use BDB but check it
against DOTTE, TDOT, and TLOT.

Kevin
At 04:59 PM 3/27/2000, you wrote:
>Greetings to all B-Hebrew list members,
>
>I'm interested in selecting a comprehensive Lexicon, but having a hard time
>with my choice. I thought that "Brown, Driver, and Briggs.--- The New
>Hebrew and English Lexcion" would be a great pick. But later, I find out
>that it is archaic and outdated. Then, I decided on " Koehler, Ludwig,and
>Baumgartner--The Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament." But
>again, discovered this information in the book " From Exegesis to
>Exposition --A Practical Guide to Using Biblical Hebrew"pg.15 par.5:
> "On the other hand, one can detect an occasional deficiency in K-
>B's definitions and handling of semantic categories. For example, the entry
>on ( ) "spirit of the dead" (p.20), fails to recognize that the term can
>have three distinct senses or that it refers to a ritual pit in 1Samuel
>28:7 (see TDOT, 1:133). The glosses 'rebuke, threat" are not strong enough
>for the noun hrfg in theophanic contexts where it refers to Yahweh's loud
>shout or battle cry ( see TDOT, 3:49-53 ). The entries for "Father", and
>"Love", do not adequately reflect the covenantal nuances these terms often
>possess.(Isa. 9:5, placed by K-B under Category 7, should appear under
>category 3 or 4. See pp.1-2.) The discussion of (dsH,hesed pp.336-37) needs
>to be revised in light of K. Sakenfeld's and Gordon Clark's research of the
>term"........ie.
>
>Now, my question is:
>Is this just the author's opinion of the Lexicon, or is this the consensus
>of most scholars? Is this a good lexicon to use? Do you recommend other
>Hebrew lexicons
>I can use? Thanks for your advice in advance.
> Tony Stark :-)
>
>---
>You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: cierpke AT prodigy.net
>To unsubscribe, forward this message to
$subst('Email.Unsub')
>To subscribe, send an email to join-b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu.

Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
Library Director/Reference Librarian
Professor of New Testament Greek
Cierpke Memorial Library
1815 Union Ave.
Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
United States of America
423/493-4252 (office)
423/698-9447 (home)
423/493-4497 (FAX)
Cierpke AT prodigy.net (preferred)
kwoodruf AT utkux.utcc.utk.edu (alternate)