b-hebrew - VAV

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Glenn Cook" <pule67 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: VAV
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 17:49:58 -0700

Thank You List

As I received such a rapid and warm answer to my question about transliteration, I’m emboldened to ask another question.

Why do you use WAW instead of VAV?

From my reading, and going on line to Israel, I’ve noticed that the Hebrews use VAV and the works I used to learn Hebrew used VAV. It would seem that we could look to the Hebrews for authority here. They are the most interested in the language and study it with great depth, as it is a sacred language to them.

It would also seem best to use their form as then the time you spend studying Biblical Hebrew could better be applied to modern Hebrew and save having to relearn when you want to use modern Hebrew.

But then what do I know. As I said before, I’m just an old man that sets in my library and reads, in this remote, sparsely populated area of Utah, were I have no contact with anyone that reads, let-alone speaks Hebrew, or is even interest in studying it . This list is the first place I have gotten any interchange with people that are interested in Hebrew, or studying the scriptures in their original languages. And I don’t know how I got on this list, but glad I did.

I envy you your opportunity to be were you have the chance to study these languages and have the stimulus of good teachers and fellow students in your pursuit of excellence in these languages and the study of the scriptures. I also know you are busy, so please only answer if you have time. At my age I may not be around long enough for it to mater whether I know the answer, and I can go right on reading and enjoying the scriptures in Hebrew without knowing the answer to this question, as I only read Hebrew and don’t speak Hebrew. This being the case I don’t need the pronunciation. So. again, please don't take any time you should be using in your studies to bother with this question, Your studies are more important.

Thank you very much for your list and warm response you gave to my other question..

Glenn Cook

  • VAV, Glenn Cook, 03/28/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: VAV, Glenn Cook, 03/30/2000