b-hebrew - Re: Dating the Pentateuch, Exodus Enigmas

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Walter Mattfeld" <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com>
  • To: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Dating the Pentateuch, Exodus Enigmas
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 18:14:44 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: Jonathan D. Safren <yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il>
To: Walter Mattfeld <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com>
Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2000 8:37 AM

> Dear Walter,
> You are ignoring your oft-repeated statement that certain cities, such
> as Heshbon and Dibon, were not settled until the Iron Age. So, first of
> all, why not place the Israelite traditions relating to them in the
> Iron Age?

Dear Jonathan,

I have no problems with some of the traditions and motifs found in the
Pentateuch being of the Iron Age, even though I understand the Pentateuch as
we have it, to be a creation of the 5th century BCE (the Medus myth). The
Pre-exilic prophets mention and allude to many incidents that appear in the
Pentateuchal narratives ( I said as much in my last sentence of my "Exodus
Enigmas" post, did you miss that last sentence ?).

> Secondly, why do the Biblical traditions about the Exodus and the
> traditions about the conquest of Heshbon and Jericho have to be those of
> the same groups?

When did I say they were all of "the same group" ? I understand the fallen
walls of Jericho to allude to events in the Early Bronze Age, the Hebrews
being slaves in Egypt reflects the Pharaohs of the 18th-20th dynasties
(Late Bronze Age) ransacking Canaan and carrying some of the Abiru off into
slavery in Egypt, while Japheth's blessing is an allusion to the
Medo-Persians (Post-Exilic Age) co-ruling Canaan with the Jews (Shem). These
motifs are probably being drawn from many diverse groups over a period of
some 2500 yrs., just as Balaam is drawn from the 8th century BCE Deir Allah
texts (albeit in a reinterpreted manner). I have no problem with diverse
traditions from different groups and different ages.

All the best,

Walter

Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld
Walldorf by Heidelberg