b-hebrew - Proverbs 31.3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "John S. Waldrip" <JWaldrip AT Baptists.Org>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Proverbs 31.3
  • Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 00:24:04 -0800

"Do not give your strength to women"

In Arabic this word "strength" refers to seminal fluid, but I do not think that is the sense in Hebrew, but rather strength, efficiency, etc.

Am I correct that this word translated "strength" is not used in connection with women in the Bible?

And how would you define this word?  Does it refer to manliness, manhood, or some such thing politically incorrect thing?

John S. Waldrip