b-hebrew - RE: Hebrew textbook

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: WordHider AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: Hebrew textbook
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 13:38:53 EST

I took two years of biblical Hebrew at Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary.
For the first three semesters we used "Biblical Hebrew Handbook" by Allen P.
Ross and A Student's Vocabulary for Biblical Hebrew and Aramaic by Larry
Mitchell for our vocabulary building. In the third semester (grammar &
syntax), we also used Waltke & O'Connor and a supplementary handout
summarizing (and simplifying) W & O prepared by my teacher, Dr. R. Bruce
Compton. Additional (and optional) resources included Hebrew Syntax: An
Outline by Ronald Williams and A Reader's Hebrew-English Lexicon of the Old
Testament by Armstrong, Busby, and Carr. The fourth semester focused on
exegesis of biblical Hebrew. Texts included Old Testament Exegesis by Douglas
Stuart and From Exegesis to Exposition by Robert Chisholm. Needless to say we
used the BHS and BDB.

It is my understanding that Baker Books may be bringing out a Hebrew text by
Allen Ross this year, although I have no recent information on this.

Sincerely,

Shawna Steiner

  • RE: Hebrew textbook, WordHider, 03/15/2000