b-hebrew - Re: Documentary Hypothesis Survey

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Todd Young <tbbyoung AT flash.net>
  • To: "Kevin L. Barney" <klbarney AT yahoo.com>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Documentary Hypothesis Survey
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 11:11:03 -0600

Kevin,
In answer to question 1, you could say that I accept the hypothesis. I
believe
that there were several sources, oral and written, that over time were edited
together
into what we have now. I do not believe that you can limit the number of
sources to 4
or 5 or 6. For example, the Song of Miriam, is considered one of the oldest
pieces of
poetry and ancient Hebrew. Was it a source by itself and what happened to the
rest of
the source?

Also, I think it is important to note the context of the fragments within the
sources.
The name Yahweh is often found in the Pentateuch in a setting referring to the
personal relationship between Yahweh and another person or Israel. The
context of
Elohim is often in reference to God's power, might, and majesty. There is a
literary
difference between the contexts. This could begin to explain the differences
between
what scholars consider to be sources and what the redactor wrote or chose to
use.

Todd Young
Southwestern Baptist Seminary
Fort Worth, TX