b-hebrew - Re: BH: BH diachronics

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, <cynthia AT oumail.openu.ac.il>
  • Subject: Re: BH: BH diachronics
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 23:52:03 -0500

Dear Cynthia,

Thank you for your clear answers to my points here.

Perhaps we are talking at cross purposes about Samuel-Kings and
Chronicles. I am not necessarily trying to say that the Chronicler's
Vorlage was a form of Samuel-Kings identical to the MT, rather that it
was something recognisably similar to MT - though one might then call
it a third document. The differences between this third document and
MT Samuel-Kings may be the result of a further redaction or may be
simply textual differences.

If I assumed a linguistic argument for dating Chronicles to the same
general period as Ezra and Nehemiah, then at least I am making the
same assumption as many others.

Of course there is regrettably little epigraphic Hebrew to go on. That
makes it all the more important that we make use of all possible
evidence from that epigraphy.

Peter Kirk