b-hebrew - Re[2]: (long) HEBREW ASPECTS

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: (long) HEBREW ASPECTS
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 00:12:12 -0500

I would view such examples of doublets in which a different verb form
is used, especially between Samuel-Kings and Chronicles, not as free
variation "without any difference in meaning", but as evidence that
and how verbal semantics changed with time (or possibly dialect, as
Cynthia might argue). If your (1) and (2), or (3) and (4), are really
synonymous, why did the Chronicler (or whoever) change the perfectly
acceptable Vorlage? No, more likely the Chronicler partly modernised
the Vorlage by replacing the verb forms, much as a modern English
writer might replace "thee" and "thou" by "you" when rewriting an old
text.

Peter Kirk