b-hebrew - Re: ad hominem

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • Subject: Re: ad hominem
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 20:35:37 -0500

Dear NPL,

If you call me ultra-conservative, I don't know what you call the real
ultra-conservatives, every word of the KJV is literal truth, creation
in 4004 BC types. Just look at one of my other postings today where I
criticised the harmonistic approach (as shown in NIV) to the kings of
Israel apparently also being priests. There are an awful lot of
people, especially in America, far more conservative than I am. Most
of them would of course be horrified with Rohl's theories because
actually he does not agree that the Bible is literal truth. Don't lump
me in with those people, use some discernment please!

As for the whole Rohl issue, I am not sidestepping anything. I am just
asking anyone who comments to come up with evidence to back up their
statements. Surely that is the normal and proper scientific method. A
statement made without any evidence is valueless, except as a way of
studying the positions and presuppositions of the one making the
statement. I have had ample chance to do the latter!

Peter Kirk