b-hebrew - Re: Linguistic dating

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Linguistic dating
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 17:14:04 -0500

Dear Greg,

Thank you for your helpful posting. I agree that if we restrict
ourselves to evidence from Qumran we can learn little about whether
texts were written two or twenty centuries earlier. We need to look
also at the evidence from earlier texts. I know that this is limited
and its dating is uncertain, but there are some things which can be
looked at.

I wonder how securely you can date the "yachad" texts to no earlier
than the 1st century BCE? I say this because the picture would be much
easier to understand if the "yachad" texts were significantly earlier
than the proto-MH texts. There can be other explanations of
non-quotation of "yachad" texts in other texts. But are there clear
indications of contemporaneity e.g. proto-MH texts quoted in "yachad"
texts? I am not trying to bend the evidence but because I want to be
sure that this plank of your structure, which carries a lot of weight,
is truly firm.

Peter Kirk