b-hebrew - Re: Hebrew Bible Software & Text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Michael Miles" <mwm AT zadok.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Hebrew Bible Software & Text
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 02:42:46 -0800

Greetings and much thanks for the guidance,

>Try this site for e-Bibles and other texts.
>http://www.jewishsoftware.com
>
>Emanuel

Emanuel Fishman, I've visited the site and noted it. Perhaps this coming
weekend I'll have time to look closer. Much thanks

>Bible Windows, by Silver Mountain Software (check their web page at
><http://www.silvermnt.com/>), is able to display the accents and
>cantillation marks. I am not aware of any software that includes
>either masorah.
>
>Paul J. Bodin

Paul J. Bodin,
I've visited and made note of the information on this site as well. I'm
finding other sources as well and I'll have to distill it all down before I
make any purchases. Thank you for your help.

>Hi,
>
>The MacBible by Zondervan Corp. has full cantillation. The font that's
>supplied with it, Jerusalem, is a true-type usable in other applications
>(although you run in to the usual directional problems).
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>bye,
>
>M. Jean Balcaen
>Dept. of Linguistics
>U of Toronto

Jean, if the software came with a Mac then I'd be all set! I've owned
everything from a Commodore VIC-20, through Amiga, through bleeding-edge IBM
type hardware, but I've never owned a Mac. I'll keep it in mind though. My
thanks.

>I will look for the fonts, I´m sure there are any.
>May I please you in trhe meantime to give me the names of your
abbreviations
>cited below?
>The abbreviations concerned are madde bold by me
>

><which
>uses the WTM and WTT and the 2.0 version of PCStudy Bible, which has the
BHS
>designated as GBH. None of these have accents or massorah magna or parva.
>

> (a variation of V?), and am
>interested in procuring a facsimile of L and A, but
>

>What of the
>BKS
>
>Thank you.
>With greetings
>Peter Bister

Howdy Peter,
I'm looking forward to any info you find on fonts. The abbreviations pan
out as follows:

WTM stands for Westminister BHS Morphological and Lemma Database
WTT stands for 4th edition BHS
I'm not sure why PcStudy Bible refers to BHS as both BHS and GBH
V is, in my current understanding, the second Rabbinic Bible
L stands for Codex Leningradensis
A stands for Codex Aleppo
There is no BKS. I meant to type BHK, which was the forerunner to the BHS.

>I remember going down this road some time ago, but here is a repeat of
>this. The SIL Hebrew Font System, free download from www.sil.org,
>supports fully accented Hebrew text. I have a copy of the BHS text
>fully accented using this font (but without massorah, footnotes etc),
>but unfortunately that is for restricted distribution. If you can
>obtain the BHS text from CCAT or Oxford Text Archive (in an ASCII
>format, with all the accentuation given) you can use the small
>programs included with the SIL Hebrew Font System to generate your own
>fully pointed Hebrew text. Unfortunately the routines are not simple
>and need to be tweaked to give a clean result. But in principle they
>work.
>
>Peter Kirk

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the heads up on this text and font system.

Again,
Much thanks to all for the help.

Michael Miles