b-hebrew - Re: Hebrew Bible Software & Text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, <mwm AT zadok.net>
  • Subject: Re: Hebrew Bible Software & Text
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 10:37:01 -0500

I remember going down this road some time ago, but here is a repeat of
this. The SIL Hebrew Font System, free download from www.sil.org,
supports fully accented Hebrew text. I have a copy of the BHS text
fully accented using this font (but without massorah, footnotes etc),
but unfortunately that is for restricted distribution. If you can
obtain the BHS text from CCAT or Oxford Text Archive (in an ASCII
format, with all the accentuation given) you can use the small
programs included with the SIL Hebrew Font System to generate your own
fully pointed Hebrew text. Unfortunately the routines are not simple
and need to be tweaked to give a clean result. But in principle they
work.

Peter Kirk