b-hebrew - RE: Perspective on Phoenician and Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: éåðúï ñôøï <yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: "'Ian Hutchesson'" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>, "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Perspective on Phoenician and Hebrew
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 11:16:31 +0200

This isn't something I generally deal with, but I remember in a course I
once took with Prof. Ben-Hayyim at Hebrew U we studies the use of the
definite article in Hebrew, in comparison with phoenician and other
Canaanite epigraphy. Ben-Hayyim demonstrated that also in ancient Hebrew
poetry there is a process of evolution in the use of the article - its use
becomes more and more frequent as time progresses.
Yours,
Jonathan D. Safren