b-hebrew - Re: Perspective on Phoenician and Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Perspective on Phoenician and Hebrew
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 10:50:33 -0500

This seems a very odd distinction to me when used in this way. At a
particular place and time one language may be more innovating than
another, but there is no reason to assume that this feature continues
over a long period. As I understand it, the Gezer calendar is one of
the earliest known inscriptions in anything like Hebrew from southern
Canaan. So it is not surprising that it retains archaic features not
found in later Hebrew. I wonder if Garbini is comparing this calendar
with biblical Hebrew texts said to date from an earlier period? Well,
I think we have to allow for the possibility that their grammar and
orthography have been tidied up at a later time. A comparison with
early poetic passages which have been less tidied up e.g. Judges 5
would be especially instructive.

On the other hand, we must remember that, according to the biblical
record, Gezer was not an Israelite city before the time of Solomon,
and so its population may have remained distinct and spoken a
different dialect even at a later time.

I suspect that it is simply anachronistic to try to decide whether the
language was archaic Hebrew or archaic Phoenician, much like to argue
whether the language spoken by Romans in Spain in the 1st-3rd century
was archaic Italian or archaic Spanish!

Peter Kirk