b-hebrew - Chronology

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: barre AT access1.com
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Chronology
  • Date: 10 Feb 2000 12:03:45 -0800

I am convinced that the most probable date for Jacobel is contemporaneous
with Akhenaten,
Lab'aya, and Hamor. Thus I would date him to the mid years of Akhenaten's
administration
at c. 1360.

The next linchpin is the building of Pi-Rameses under Rameses II who
succeeded Seti in
1301. How long did they work on it before leaving? Unknowable. How long
would it have
taken to complete the structure? Unknown to me. Have you any resources to
address that
question? My Bible Dictionary implicitly approximates 10 years.

It is entirely reasonable that the reorganization of Canaan began when
Rameses with drew his
troops to fight the Hittites at Kadesh, a date of 1283 coming from my
Macmillan Bible Atlas.
I am looking for current research on this dating also.

So we have 1360 for Jacobel, c. 1295 for the exodus, encampment at Kadesh
until 1283. If
as is likely the reorganization of Canaan began soon after 1283, this would
put Hoshea son of
Nun in his adulthood at this time as a military commander/king of Shechem
which had been in
Jacobite possession since Jacob took it from Hamor the Hurrian.

The kings of Shechem can be traced backwards from Abimelech to Jerubbaal and
to I argue
Joshua. Thus from 1283 we have half a generation for Joshua followed by
Jerubbaal's reign
to Abimelech. Estimating 40 year regnal years we get Joshua (20), Jerubbaal
Abimelech (23). 1283 (Joshua)-40=1243 (Jerubbaal)-23=1220 (Abimelech).

Coincidentally a severe drought plunged the Mediterranean basin into a deep
decline
coinciding with the portrayal of decline in the era of the Deliverers
(Judges) until Deborah's
victory over Hazor (c. 1125). It is also here that we find presupposed an
alliance between
12 territories that do not include Simeon, Levi and Judah. Contrast this
with Merneptah that
treats "Israel" as a people of limited territory in the central highlands and
upper Galilee.
However, I do think that an alliance was formed to bind the various peoples
together and that
it was also called "Israel" (The Penuel tradition) but now meaning for them a
national
designation, a designation too new to be known to foreigners like Merneptah
but propagated
initially only among the allying tribes. Early sources for this time or
remembering this time are
the Blessing of Moses, the Blessing of Jacob,and the Oracles of Balaam.

Note that if we approximate generations ruling in Shechem that the chronology
fits well,
showing six rulers over the city with two of the names missing.

1360 (Lab'aya, Hamor, Jacobel)-20=1340 (?)-40=1300 (?)-40=1280[3]
(Hoshea/Joshua)-
40=1243 (Jerubbaal)-23=1220 (Abimelech).

L.M. Barre
http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/AncientIsrael
Point Loma, California

  • Chronology, barre, 02/10/2000