b-hebrew - Re: Dating Jacob

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Dating Jacob
  • Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 11:30:45 -0500

Dear Lloyd,

"If... if... if... if... if... if... if... then might we not
suspect..." seems like a formula for totally unsupported speculations.
I would contest many of the statements after the if's. No doubt some
are true, but your argument relies on them all being true although
there is absolutely no evidence for some of them.

I don't know how relevant this is, but in 1 Chronicles 2:24, 42-55,
4:1-23, 8:29 (English numbering) there are several cases of people
being named as "father" of a town name (see NIV footnotes). This is
often understood as them being the chiefs or traditional founders of
those towns. But it could mean that they named their sons after the
towns.

Peter Kirk