b-hebrew - Re: Samson

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Charles David Isbell" <cisbell AT home.com>
  • To: "Banyai Michael" <banyai AT t-online.de>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Samson
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 16:49:20 -0600

Professor Cyrus Gordon first made these and many other connections in 1955,
in an HUCA article, "Homer and Bible," and then more fully in 1962, in
COMMON BACKGROUND OF GREEK AND HEBREW CIVILIZATIONS. Note in particular
Samson and Achilles (p. 298).
Not only does Gordon note literary links between Samson and Enkidu, but he
also comments on the motif of long hair going hand in hand with
extra-ordinary strength. Not only biblical Samson, but also Esau and
Avshalom exhibit these dual characteristics. The heroic Achaeans are also
described as "long-haired" and Gordon mentions "the Minoan insistence on
long hair for men" (p. 62).
Gordon's student, Harry Hoffner, has also worked extensively in this field.
Charles