b-hebrew - Re: Genesis 3:8, spirit of the day

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: "Jeffery R. Condit" <kcondit AT attglobal.net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Genesis 3:8, spirit of the day
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 16:55:33 +0200

Jeff,
Your point is well taken. "ruach hayom" is that time of the day, about
4-5 PM, when, in Israel, a breeze begins to blow. It dispels some of the
heat of the day, and, after an hour or so, the temperature begins to go
down. (When I lived in Beer-sheva in the Northern Negev, it was
mercifully quick; now that I live in yucky Kefar-Saba in the Sharon
Plain, it takes a much longer time) But the term in itself does nort
mean "in the cool of the day"; that is only an inferral.
Sincerely,

--
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies