b-hebrew - re: Significance of Cantillation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Matthew Anstey" <manstey AT portal.ca>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: re: Significance of Cantillation
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 10:39:45 -0800

Gday all,

The following article has some interesting ideas about cantillation:

Lode, Lars. "A Discourse Perspective on the Significance of the
Masoretic Accents." In Biblical Hebrew and Discourse Linguistics, ed.
Robert D. Bergen. 155-172. Texas: Summer Institute of Linguistics,
1994.

In my research it would seem that there is a strong correlation
between clause boundaries and disjunctive accents, but I think Vince
has already suggested this. Probably nothing new in this observation.

With regards,
Matthew Anstey

  • re: Significance of Cantillation, Matthew Anstey, 02/03/2000